Complete applications must be submitted by January 20, 2016.
The Chateaubriand Fellowship is a grant offered by the Embassy of France in the United States. It supports outstanding Ph.D. students from American universities who wish to conduct research in France for a period ranging from 4 to 9 months. Chateaubriand fellows are selected through a merit-based competition, through a collaborative process involving expert evaluators in both countries.
The program is divided in two sections:
- STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics & Health
The Chateaubriand Fellowship in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics & Biology-Health for doctoral students aims to initiate or reinforce collaborations, partnerships or joint projects between French and American research teams. The Chateaubriand Fellowship supports PhD students registered in an American university who wish to conduct part of their doctoral research in a French laboratory.
This fellowship is offered by the Office for Science & Technology
(OST) of the Embassy of France in Washington in partnership with American universities and French research organizations such as Inserm and Inria. It is a partner of the National Science Foundation’s GROW program
- HSS: Humanities and Social Sciences
The Chateaubriand fellowship in Humanities and Social Sciences is offered by theCultural Services of the Embassy of France
. The HSS program targets outstanding Ph.D. students enrolled in American universities who seek to engage in research in France, in any discipline of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
The HSS Chateaubriand program is supported by the Campus France agency which provides a welcome package and assistance to Fellows upon their arrival. Social networking opportunities are also offered by the Fulbright program in France.
- Candidates must be currently working on their Ph.D.
- Candidates do not have to be U.S. citizens, but they must be enrolled in an American university.
- Candidates must obtain a letter of recommendation from their advisor(s) in the U.S., as well as a letter of invitation from a professor affiliated with a French university or research institution. Please contact your supervisor in France as early as possible.
For more specific eligibility criteria please visit our websites.
- A monthly stipend
- Health insurance for the entire duration of the fellowship
- A round-trip ticket to France
- Academic relevance of the research project
- Student’s command of the subject
- Benefits of a research trip to France for the future of the collaboration
- Background of the research collaboration
- Contribution of the project to France/U.S. academic exchange
WEBSITE & APPLICATION